Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The IDPs

Today I visited one of the surrounding villages of Barda, where many IDPs from the disputed Karabagh region reside. First, a quick lesson on international relations: IDP is an acronym for Internally Displaced Persons, meaning someone who has been forced to settle elsewhere in their own country for reasons of war, famine, natural disaster, etc. Many people refer to IDPs as "refugees," but this is actually incorrect usage of the word. A refugee is someone who flees one country and takes residence in another for the aforementioned reasons. That being said, I may slip up a few times and say refugees while referring to the IDP population in Barda; just know the difference and I'll be happy.

This visit was eye-opening to say the least. Just as in my own host school, many IDP families live in classrooms, twig and stick houses, or small shacks. Others live in rusted train carcasses, which have also been converted into classrooms, or in bombed-out factories that no longer operate after the war. The village has a very temporary feel to it, as if everyone could pack up tomorrow and be ready to move back to their homes. But what is most striking is that this situation has existed for fifteen years. Others say they have been like this for twenty years... basically it depends on who you talk to. For example, it's not unusual that a child born in one classroom will attend math class in the adjoining room.

As always, I was touched by the warm hospitality I received from my hosts. The director literally stuffed food in my messenger bag for me to take home! Although it's still too early to begin any community development projects, I have a sneaking suspicion that the IDP question will be a large part of my service in this country.