Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A winter update

Finally, right? I apologize for the incommunicado these past weeks (or is it months?!), Internet access in my community is not the easiest and I rarely have time to zone out in front of a computer screen at the local Internet Klubu. Thus, photo updates may be a while- next time I get to Baku I'll be able to upload a few pictures for you to enjoy.

Let me first reassure everyone that I am alive and happily content in the town of Barda. I simply couldn't ask for a better, more excited school, director and teaching counterparts. It's only January, but I have plenty of work and can already begin connecting the dots for future projects I'd like to initiate. This update post should bring everyone up to speed on what it is I do every day. I thus present to you "A day in life of Jeremy Jeromovich… Part II":

7:00 – wake up; my attempts to do some push-ups and sit-ups usually end in disappointment

8:00 – eat breakfast; begin the 20 minute walk to school. I affectionately call this walk the "fashion runway" because it seems like most of the town watches me as I strut my stuff down the main road.

8:30-1:00 – lessons. Every day I have a different class schedule, but generally I am team-teaching, sitting in the teachers' room, or drinking tea during this time.

After 1:00 – For now, free time. However some days I have language tutoring or lesson plan with my teaching counterparts. In the spring, I'll most likely be running conversation clubs during this time.

All in all, not a horrible schedule, but it is definitely exhausting. The constant fatigue of using another language, cultural differences and lesson planning certainly wears on you!