- Candy. We're always told not to take candy from strangers… but I forget this cardinal rule every time a teacher holds out a tasty chocolate treat. I actually don't eat the candy, but save it in a bag in my room in order to give it to kids later.
- Qonaqliqs. Qonaqliq is Azerbaijani for "guesting," a common and enjoyable Azeri pastime. It essentially means I go over someone's house, eat delicious food until I feel ill, and dance. The 20 minute do-nothing-after-you-eat-or-else-you'll-get-a-cramp rule is generally ignored here. I have been to several teachers' homes already, and my goal is to get to everyone before my service ends.
- Compliment my messenger bag. My messenger bag has become a legend in School #4. It's so big, oddly colored, and yet… so practical! "Jamil, (my name has been Azerbaijanified to make it easier to pronounce) show us what you have in your bag today!" I then proceed to empty its contents on the table, and I'm always surprised at what I have managed to cram in there that day. I undoubtedly picked this trait up from my darling mother, the queen of all mother-shovers :).
- Hold popularity contests. "Jamil! Who do you like more, me or Teacher X!" or "Jamil! Who is a better mother to you, me or Teacher Y!" Although I would never answer this sort of question due to my diplomatic demeanor, the teachers enjoy asking this question in front of their matronly rival. I always say "I love you both" or "I won't say!" with a big American, toothy smile, which always results in a few cheek pinches and candy.
I definitely have a great time with the teachers. Even though they may baby me a little bit, they all respect what I'm doing and are eager to learn from me. Should be an interesting two years!