Thursday, March 5, 2009

Feeling red, white and blue

Can you believe it’s March already? That means this is my sixth month in Azerbaijan, marking the longest consecutive period of time I’ve spent in a foreign country (even though I’ve been in France longer, it was at two separate times… not all in a row!). And I’m pretty sure Azerbaijan is as foreign as you can get for an American from rural Maryland!
I have so much to update, while at the same time so little. So in keeping with the theme of today’s post (red, white and blue), I’ll tell you what I’ve been up to.

Red. The color red implies happiness and excitement right? Let’s go with that. Every day is full of adventures, learning experiences, and of course… ridiculous happenings! These daily experiences keep life interesting and enjoyable, and make me feel like I’m not only a successful volunteer thus far, but a busy one! Here is a list of random stuff I’ve done in the past few weeks:

  • Corralled lambs in the village
  • Bonded with my host father over vodka
  • Cooked potato pirozhki
  • Danced, danced and danced some more
  • Ate lamb guts
  • Went to the graveyard and was told that I will become a mullah, by a mullah (a Muslim priest)
  • Almost blew myself up in the washroom… we have a new gas water heater that’s hazardous to say the least
  • Taught the Star Spangled Banner to my kids. This deserves its own paragraph, because I have become quite the singing sensation in Barda.

We are having an English party soon, where all the students perform English skits, songs, poems, etc. and there was interest in performing the American national anthem. So, I took it upon myself to teach the kids the song and… the TUNE! Now, if you’ve ever heard me sing, you know I am no Frank Sinatra. Nevertheless, the kids think I have the greatest voice in the world. No lie! One day as I was walking in the dark crumbling staircase, I hear a familiar voice singing around the corner. Yes that’s right… MY OWN VOICE!

Apparently the kids recorded my voice in class on their cell phones… and listen to it for ENJOYMENT!!! Not even to mock me, but because they actually enjoy listening to my pathetic attempt to sing our nation’s red white and blue. Now is that cultural exchange or what?! Not to mention a great confidence booster.

White. My skin is really pale, some might even say whiter than Michael Jackson. While that’s certainly not true, I have had my skin color pointed out to me twice in the past week… so it was worth mentioning. One little girl stared at me for a good five minutes before informing me of my “condition.” I tell people that in the summer I’ll be OK, that I’ll turn brown. I can’t wait to see everyone’s reaction when I turn lobster red.

Blue. I got the blues! Well, no not really. The sky is starting to turn blue and the winter weather (read—no heat in my room!) is finally leaving! These next few months should be beautiful until May, when the summer heat (and mosquitoes) comes to town.