Friday, September 26, 2008

In Azerbaijan

There is so much to say, but so little precious Internet time! Just wanted to let everyone know that I am indeed here, and alive, and have many crazy stories already. Just to highlight a few things:

-Practiced "squatting" for Turkish toilets, with the aid of a marker tied around the waist and aiming into a styrofoam cup
-Danced with Azeris, while wearing a traditional cap
-Azeri language is a lot of fun
-I have witnessed a Russian couple swimming in the Caspian Sea, at nighttime
-Rode water slides at a 4-star resort outside of Baku
-Got rabies shots
-Almost chased by packs of wild dogs, and being thankful for having said rabies shots
-Haven't had diarrhea, YET
-Laughed so hard I cried, aboard the flight to Baku
-Took a journey to a rainbow tunnel, in the Frankfort airport
-Discovered the rainbow tunnel was just a long, red tunnel that was rather boring

So, essentially service hasn't truly started yet. We leave tomorrow (Saturday) for our host families. Should be quite a contrast to the current hotel we are staying at. I am excited to get moving into Training! Talk to you soon!