So I am going to try and start an entry called Azerbai-journal (because I'm corny) that will just be a post about a random adventure I've had. It is too complicated to speak about each day and every challenge that comes my way, so these types of posts are an effort to better familiarize you all with my everyday life. And - as if this was unexpected - to make you laugh. So here you go:
I like to talk loudly, and I like to smile. These are two personality traits that consistently gave me away in France as a foreigner (a nefarious anglo-saxon!). I'd say these traits continue to give me away as a foreigner here in AZ, but I think there are a few other (primarily physical!) traits that are more noticeable that take care of that. Anyways, a few days ago I was in a little market and decided I wanted to chat with the shopkeeper. After we moved beyond the normal pleasantries, we started talking about Azeri food and which were my favorites. We quickly got on to the topic of khash, or cow head. Yes that's right… cow head! I told him I never had it, but would like to try it (being a fan of the TV show Survivor has made me incredibly eager to try "different" foods). Before I knew it, I was formally invited to his house for some cow head cuisine.
Now, let's be honest with ourselves, would this ever happen in the States? Not the cow head degustation (though I'm pretty sure I've had worse in my university's cafeteria), I am referring to the random invitation. I think first of all, if someone came up to me in 7-11 and wanted to "chit chat" and invite me to his house, I'd think twice about this gentleman's motives. I'd then spot the nearest exits and make my way to the cashier. Yet this was a completely different situation and this why I love Azerbaijan! Hospitality is so important and people genuinely enjoy having guests. I think we Americans have a lot to learn from this fundamental aspect of Azeri culture.
So, long story short, I went over to this guy's place and had a great time. Jon, another trainee, also came along for the ride. We hung out and watched TV, drank tea, and had a good lunch. Alas, no cow head this time (apparently khash is a morning only meal… bummer!). It just turned out to be an incredibly positive experience and surprisingly easy. If this is any indication of the next two years, I can't wait!