Thursday, September 9, 2010

Service in the summer

It may seem that all I have been doing this summer is vacation in foreign countries. And for the most part, you are right. As a PCV, you get 48 days of vacation and I am proud to say that I have used up every single day this summer 'ere they were lost forever. When will I have the chance to take that many days of vacation again?

This copious amount of vacation, however, doesn't mean that I have been inactive in Azerbaijan this summer. In between my journeys, I have been involved in several activities at site and in the capital. Here are some picture updates to make this post more interesting:

Swim lessons at the local Sports Complex. This year the kids were much better behaved and a few even learned the breaststroke!


My host sister went to America with the amazing FLEX program, which sends students from former USSR countries to study in a US high school for a year. This was her going away party (she is not pictured here; this is her father and classmate).


AZ 6 (the group of volunteers here in Azerbaijan) had their Close of Service Conference in Baku in August. This was our last conference and the last time any of us will probably see each other again. Sunset on the Caspian Sea (though the Sun itself is obscured by the pollution).