Sunday, August 16, 2009

ABLE Summer camp

ABLE summer camp, or Azerbaijani Boys Leadership Experience (Azeri: Azerbaycan oglanlar ucun liderlik tercubesi), has been in existence for four years now and is still going strong. This past week, I had the honor to participate in ABLE camp and see the great work this program does for Azerbaijani youth.

ABLE camp brings children from all over the country to a central location; this year we met in a small mountain village in the center of the country. Peace Corps Volunteers and counterparts work together to plan, organize and teach lessons & activities about leadership, community and teamwork – values that weren’t the most important during Soviet rule. I brought several kids from my region to participate and saw a change in their attitudes and composures almost instantly! Clearly, being in a positive environment with a bunch of Americans and exemplary Azerbaijani young males motivated the camp participants to set goals for their futures.

Happily, this past week was like a dive into my Scouting past. We dug through the woods for firewood and made bonfires, ate questionable food, played football (well I just watched, but you get the picture), sang around the campfire, hiked through mountain trails, etc. Despite my resolve to live in some sort of city when I’m 30, I can see myself retreating to some foggy, craggy mountain dwelling… granted the modern conveniences of the 21st century are within a few miles. I’m sure such a place exists, right? My favorite part of this camp was the 4 hour hike to a 7th century AD castle, named “Young Lion Castle.” It was, without exaggerating, hidden in the woods among ruined stone walls and worn footpaths. I felt like I had stepped into the Middle Earth of LORD OF THE RINGS! My task, which was to ensure all the kids stayed on the path, was slightly complicated by the copious amounts of wild berries along the side of the road. Every time I got someone back on the path, another kid ran off in search of an elusive berry. Then a rather portly child fell off the side of the steep, zigzagging mountain trail. Luckily a tree prevented him from falling too far.

I had often heard volunteers saying that this experience was the most meaningful thing they had done all service. I now understand why!